May 7, 2011

The Babies Are Here!

( Not just a big egg - More like A Happy Chicken ! )

Wow - where do I begin?

Oh, wait.  First - a message for Deb!

Thanks for that great idea about sharing tips and recipes for the herbs that I grow!  Definitely - I will begin doing that as I get busy using them in the kitchen.

Unfortunately - I read your note the morning after making my stuffed mushrooms.  Of course - never donned on me to take photos.  And we - totally - devoured those!  So - I will next time - for sure!

The weather is tossing red flags here and keeping us walking on eggshells.  But we have very brave Babies sprouting from the ground!

 



OurBorlotto Solista “ Pole Beans have popped!

It’s always so much fun when you see them just barely crack the soil - only to find them standing up an inch tall - or more - the next morning!

And then there are the ones that don’t show their face - at all.

Plan B comes to fruit - open the extra seed you bought.

In our case - I’m having to go back and re-seed some of our corn.

 



Hard to believe this tiny half-inch sprout will grow taller than me to have as many as 5 stalks - each stalk having a few ears of the sweet - tender - delicious corn that drives us nuts!

" Mirai " Corn seed is a bit picky.  To begin with - the kernal is very delicate.  Dried - just a bit more testy.

Consistent watering and careful attention to depth during planting are vital.

Pretty sure I may have planted some too deeply.

 



Our Festina “ Bush Beans have come up!  We only planted 2 short rows this year.  Still have plenty of green beans in the freezer and canned.

 



The spinach is coming along - slowly.  Not so sure I’m all that impressed with using the Garden-in-a-Bag thingy for our spinach.  Seems stunted.

And it’s bringing on a constant discussion about a table garden.

 



TheSouthern Giant Curled “ Mustard Greens seem to be hanging in there.

 



However - the Savannah “ Mustard Greens are about to push me to cleaning the row for something else.

Same goes for the Organic “ Boro “ Beets.

As luck always runs around here during early spring planting - the first planting of carrot seeds was washed off the hills by a storm.

 



Babies from the second planting have sat up and yawned!

 



Leaving survivors to grow “ rogue “ in the alleys of my rows is just - Me.

Kind of a “ Live or Die, Turd ! “ thing to mimic sticking my tongue back at Mother Nature.

Meadowview Nursery introduced me to Amish Paste “ Tomatoes last year - which turned out some absolutely wonderful tomato sauce!

But they didn’t set any plants up at the farm this year.

Lucky for me - I neglected the plants after harvest last year!

 



Look carefully - between the rogue carrots!

Hey!  This just seasons the “ Volunteer “ in the motto of our great state of Tennessee!

As for “ canned “ veggies on our property….  literally - I mean.





Our Tomatillo plant is doing just wonderful!  Even has a few blooms!

 



And it looks like we’re gonna have plenty of Cherry Tomatoes for salads, too!

 



The Malabar “ Spinach has sprouted.  And we’ll be constructing the trellis as soon as needed.

I went outside the box with my old wheel barrow this year.





It’s a Fragoo “ Strawberry plant!  And I can hardly wait!

Well - David ( our neighbor ) has his two girls this weekend!  Time for me to get in gear.  The girls and I are gonna get busy planting flower seeds in their Daddy’s yard!

And I’ve got a few pickling cucumber plants left over for them to grow on Red’s fence!  Red is their Golden Retriever.

I guess we’ll see how much fun comes out of that venture!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Oh goodie, can't wait to see what you do with your herbs!! Looks like your Garden is coming along nicely, thats wonderful!! Hope you had a wonderful Mothers Day. :-))

Misty Pines Homestead said...

Wished my cherry tomato plant looked like yours but.... too hot here I think for em. Already got a handful from it.